'Tis time to think about making holiday gifts. Really? Yes! We know Nordstrom isn't going to decorate for the holidays until the day after Thanksgiving... which we love by the way, as we too think you should enjoy one holiday at a time.
That is, unless you want to make your own holiday gifts! Those salves just don't make themselves and now is a great time to start!
Making your own holiday gifts has lots of benefits:
- It's relaxing. You get to benefit from the aromatherapy as you prepare it. Plus you avoid the stress at the mall!
- You can get the kids involved (friends, neighbors, or properly screened strangers make good kid substitutes)
- You know exactly what organic goodness is in them. No more reading scary labels at the store!
- You can save a bunch of money. What? Yes really! The ingredients for an entire batch of lip balm will cost you about the same as one single tube of decent stuff - maybe even less!!
- It's easy. We encourage you to grow and harvest your own herbs, but in case you didn't get around to it this year, and if harvesting your own beeswax is out of the question... we even sell organic DIY kits of ingredients at the Apothecary Shoppe College Store that you can use so you avoid having to shop lots of different stores.
Here's our favorite recipe for the bath. After all, you'll deserve to relax after you get your holiday gift list crossed off BEFORE Thanksgiving!!
Basic Bath Salts Blend
Epsom salts: 1 cup or 8 ounces
Sea or mineral salts: 1/2 cup or 4 ounces
White clay: 1/8 cup or 1 ounce
Pure essential oils
Directions: Mix all ingredients together in bowl and sift. Add 4 tablespoons to one full bath; add after the bath has filled. Essential oils can be added as either single oils or as blends.
Calm Down Aromatherapy Blend of Essential Oils for Bath Salts
Essential oil of geranium Pelargonium graveolens: 3 drops
Essential oil of lavender Lavandula angustifolia: 3 drops
Essential oil of lemon Citrus limon: 2 drops
Essential oil of sandalwood Santalum album: 2 drops